Final Walls & Ridge Beam Up
June 5, 2020
Today the final walls and the ridge beam went up.
This evening my son and I spread the rest of the gravel pile, making a nice area in front of the studio that won’t be muddy when it rains.
I cleaned up the work area and attached Tyvek to the last wall.
Ryan and Abby came by and helped my wife and I lift the final walls into place.
Once the walls were up, I put top-plates on that overlapped the end walls.
Now we finally have lots of floor space.
Next was to get the ridge beam up. We did some final measurements twice using a measuring tape and a laser, just to be sure.
We carefully measured the center of the ridge beam, ensuring we could raise it with just one hoist.
Once we got it high enough, we rested it on the header while we setup to move it into the final position. It was immediately rock solid.
Two people on a ladder sitting atop the second stage of scaffolding platform that’s already 10ft off the ground was uncomfortable, but Ryan and I successfully moved the ridge beam into the pockets of each end wall.