Trevor Parscal's Studio

Building a recording studio in New Hampshire

Falling Down

Yesterday I got home from a business trip and found the studio had some more water in it than I had hoped. The ridge cap isn’t installed all the way yet, and it had been raining. We had tried to cover it with some plastic, but that didn’t solve the problem entirely. Adam suggested we try using a tarp, and said he’d head over.

He climbed up on the roof and I was nearby on the scaffolding. The roof was a little wet, and I asked him how his grip was. He seemed confident, but then as he started to move back down toward the ladder he slipped. He struggled to regain his grip, but within a second he disappeared from my view and fell down 15ft to the dirt below the eave. On his way down, he was able to kick the ladder out of the way and avoided landing on his head.

He was clearly in a lot of pain and after evaluating the situation he decided we it was time to go to the hospital. The drive was tense. Every little bit of g-force sent pain through his body, yet every minute felt like an eternity. So I drove carefully, trying to find and maintain the right balance between speed and comfort.

We pulled up to the emergency room and got him in a wheel chair. The first thing the receptionist said was “Wow, you look like crap!”.

Pale and gasping for air, they took him away immediately while I parked the car properly. I jogged back and they brought me right to his room. Surrounded by doctors and nurses running around and setting things up, they wasted no time in getting him stable and comfortable. Within an hour he was feeling a bit better and they had a vague idea of what was wrong.

The doctor finally came by and let Adam know that he’d broken four ribs. Thankfully they were small enough breaks that they will heal on their own. But there’s a lot of pain, and a risk of getting pneumonia due to not breathing deeply because of the pain.

Adam’s wife came straight to the hospital from work, which was my cue to head home to help Melissa with watching Adam and Liz’s kids. When Liz came over to pick up her kids, she told us he also fractured his scapula.

Early this morning Adam texted me and let me know he was feeling better. Later in the morning he was cleared to go home. I went to pick him up, and he was in good spirits.

They took a really long time to release him, so I actually had to get home so my wife could use our car to pick up Adam’s daughter from school. I couldn’t find the keys to truck Adam’s loaning me, which later would be found in Melissa’s purse, so Adam took an Uber to my house.

He and my wife arrived, we had some food and he rested. Before leaving to take him home, we walked over to ground zero and examined where he fell. His glasses came off during the fall. They are now beyond repair.

I took him home, stopping by the pharmacy on the way. It’s going to be a couple months before he’s back to normal, but thankfully it looks like he will make a full recovery.

Get well soon Adam.

Next Post

Previous Post

© 2020 Trevor Parscal's Studio

Theme by Anders Norén